About Me

My photo
I am a wife a mother and a grandmother. I have seven children and seven grandchildren. I decided to take on this challenge of studying again for a caree change. I am a liitle frustrated with the puplic health system. So I think it is time for a change.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Poetry for Lower Primary

The purpose of this lesson is to teach the students the difference between a story and a poem.
After speaking with children of different ages but all primary age, they stated that poetry was not such an exciting subject because the teacher just said the poem and they discussed the words that rhymed. I decided to make my power point on poetry with a difference and try to engage the students and gain their interest and the result will be a positive learning experience with the use of rhyming words. And the students would have learnt a couple of poems and the difference between a story and a poem (There would be hand out of the complete poem) They will understand that a poem can be story using rhyming words. The student would be asked to make there own short poem.
The steps for my power point.
1. I chose the poems about Butterfly and Caterpillars from the website referenced This website allows the use of the poems for education purposes.
2. I chose pictures from clip art (these are royalty free)
3. I also downloaded a picture of a butterfly that I could turn into a moving animated butterfly I also downloaded multiple pictures of a caterpillar hatching .that I turned into a movie using Window movie maker.
4. The effects I installed to enhance my slides were from customise animation ie. grow/shrink, fly out, float, boomerang, pin-wheel and ease out.
5. The power point was then uploaded to my blog once as a preview as a still slide show using power point presentation 97/2003. so that google Doc's would allow me to embed the presentation to my blog. Then I linked to the original power point by uploading it then getting the link to share. Both are now on my blog to view. One acts as a preview and the other is the one I would use as my presentation for the class with discussion on the poems.
I enjoyed this activity very much I loved making the power point and I feel comfortable using power point as a teaching tool. This tool can be adapted to any subject .I think the hook for the lesson can be made very creative and with more experience and practice of making and adding effects to my power point I will be able to have longer and more in-depth presentations.
Therefore in this activity I have learnt to make a power point make pictures into movies upload to my blog and use a link.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne

    I love your presentation!! I think that is a wonderful concept and you have tied in 'life cycles' too - crossing KLAs!! If students are able to navigate their way through the presentation themselves on a computer I think they will be really absorbed with the material.

    All the best
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete